which is the best type of fargesia robusta?

Mr List

which is the best type of fargesia robusta?

Post by Mr List »

i think there are three different types and i am a little confused about which is which and what the differences are.

also

which websites are good prices for robusta with decent delivery charges.
cordyman

Re: which is the best type of fargesia robusta?

Post by cordyman »

Here you go list

pingwu, wolong and campbell

Pingwu is happy in full shade,

Wolong and campbell prefer full sun or partial shade.

http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_info.php?id=823

http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_info.php?id=618

http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_info.php?id=326

What effect do you want from them?

I find my Wolong is very arching and grows in all directions

I find my Campbell hedge is very upright and forming a great hedge/screen

Performance wise my campbell has romped in its first year from a scrawny bunch of canes to a decent clump in a year.

I don't have a pingwu as didnt like the look of the leaves as much as the other two.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

x4 Campbells planted April 2011

may 2012

My Wolong is very draping and archy, which is perfect for the border spot I have it near a Trachycarpus, but I reckon it would make a rubbish hedge/screen

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looks like campbell is the one for me, thanks a lot for the info and pics cordy :D

did you get yours from mulu?
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Red sheath, wolong and P. King are all very similar in height and all have larger than normal leaves. Wolong will arch when the foliage gets heavy.
I have pingwu which is upright and slightly smaller in height but has slightly smaller leaves.
All robusta are good.
I like all of them, not much between them.

Robusta shoot early in comparison to other bamboo and grow to maturity quickly too

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Why do you specifically want a Robusta? Why not a Fargesia Murieliae?

Personally I think they are a far better looking variety and there are a good choice of heights, colours and leaf sizes about.

It even has a variety that loves full shade.

I have 'Vampire' and 'Simba' and both seem very easy to keep.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i want a robusta because it is bigger and more upright plus i already have some Murieliae
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Look at david whitelea nursery website in Matlock or paul whittaker website for info on different robusta there info will be most accurate. David has some good wolong and p.king stock that he has grown at the minute too.
He is more of a supplier than a nursery so the variety he has is huge.

Post by Mr List »

links?
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

http://www.uk-bamboos.co.uk/Bamboo%20Stock%20List.htm
This is David Whitelea at Matlock. If you click on the bamboo type it will take you to an info page.

When i spoke to him last, the website was having a few things altered, so the prices and stock may be slightly different in reality if he hasn't updated it yet.

http://www.hardybamboo.com/
Paul Whittaker webiste. Never bought anything from him but his books are excellent.

Post by cordyman »

Mr List wrote:looks like campbell is the one for me, thanks a lot for the info and pics cordy :D

did you get yours from mulu?

Yeah from Mulu mate icon_thumleft Went and picked them up in person as only local

rufc15lizzie wrote:Red sheath, wolong and P. King are all very similar in height and all have larger than normal leaves. Wolong will arch when the foliage gets heavy.
I have pingwu which is upright and slightly smaller in height but has slightly smaller leaves.
All robusta are good.
I like all of them, not much between them.

Robusta shoot early in comparison to other bamboo and grow to maturity quickly too

The early shooting on the campbell is fantastic and they're way ahead of all my other bamboo already, they will shoot again later in the year quite heavily too icon_cheers
Mr List wrote:i want a robusta because it is bigger and more upright plus i already have some Murieliae

I have 2 Murieliae, and a Simba and in 3 years they're still like dwarfs, no more than 50cm high with thin canes icon_scratch
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Cordy it looks like you planted those campbells way too close together lol. Each individual clump needs to get to 3x3 feet to attain full sized culms.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

greendragon wrote:Cordy it looks like you planted those campbells way too close together lol. Each individual clump needs to get to 3x3 feet to attain full sized culms.

Don't bamboo's grow based on space available and culm in that direction? in a similar way to bamboo barrier shape and how they fill it out pertectly?

Once they hit the wall on one side and the other bamboos next to them they should start to spread more towards the back i'm hoping
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i have always read bamboos don't suffer if planted more closely for a quicker screen.

ps
being able to pop into mulu to buy them is a little different from ordering online :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mr List wrote:i have always read bamboos don't suffer if planted more closely for a quicker screen.

ps
being able to pop into mulu to buy them is a little different from ordering online :lol:

Yeah I was after the screen effect quicker icon_salut

Mulu ship really cheap last time I checked, a large Trachycarpus was only £15.