which is the best type of fargesia robusta?

greendragon

Re: which is the best type of fargesia robusta?

Post by greendragon »

Were they in 5 litre pots when you got them last year cordy?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

greendragon wrote:Were they in 5 litre pots when you got them last year cordy?

yeah pretty sure icon_scratch
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cordyman wrote:

My Wolong is very draping and archy, which is perfect for the border spot I have it near a Trachycarpus, but I reckon it would make a rubbish hedge/screen

Evening Mr L,

just to show you what my Wolong has done in a year, from the above to this

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

it looks very similar to nitindita great wall i got from B&Q last year.

i like the big thick strong looking culms on campbell a lot. i am most definitely getting that one now. icon_thumleft
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

I received a Fargesia robusta campbell from Mulu earlier today. I also got a Phyllostachys aureosulcata Spectabilis to make the shipping cost more worthwhile.

Not too sure about the plants, they're definitely not in top condition. So I'm a bit disappointed. Yellowing and brown spots on the leaves of the spectabilis and the cambell is a bit bedraggled. I don't think it was the journey as they were only sent out yesterday.

Here's a pic, excuse the mess.

grub

Post by grub »

How much were they?
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

The campbell £20, the Spectabilis £24 and the shipping was £18
grub

Post by grub »

Mate that's s**t loads for tiddlers like that, if you're not 100% happy I'd mail them and say :x . The majority of my Boo's have come from AndyC (Atropica) and they've been huge plants for half of what you've paid there, last visit I had a 35l 'Kew Beauty' for £15 :shock: .
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Most online nurseries charge at least £20 for 5 litre pots of Robusta.
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

It was the cheapest I could find. Plus they were recommended by quite a few people. I was plannning on visiting the Rodings plantary, but with a baby and an adventurous toddler its not a good idea. I'm already in dispute with 2 x other suppliers, I don't know if I want to start a third. I admit I am very fussy, but when people tell you their plants are the best and they're clearly far worse than the sheds I have a problem. I'm going to give them the weekend and see if they perk up.
Last edited by gdudey on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mulu have always has amazing stock when i've visited. I'd contact them and ask about the sized plants youve received.

icon_scratch

apart from the ones in very small pots, here is my last Mulu haul. Can't recall whether these were £20 or £35 plants though!

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=11715
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

To be honest I wasn't too concerned about the sizes especially as the spectabilis is over 6ft. I just wanted healthy looking plants. But thanks for the advice, I'll certainly take it up with them if I see no improvement soon.